Thursday, May 23, 2013

Just say NO!

Lately, I've been trying to do better with spending time reading my Bible every day. I have been doing better than I was, but I have found that I would get distracted with other things and end up not doing it. Today was one of those days. I sat down 3 times to read my Bible and just spend some time with God, and each time, I was distracted by the kids needing or wanting something from me. I ended up not getting to do it until 9:30 after they were in bed...but even then it wasn't uninterrupted. I had to get up a few times to deal with them and their usual bedtime difficulties. I've been doing the Parenting By Design devotional on UVersion, because I feel like I need help in that area. Today's was about how sometimes we have to say no to our kids in order to spend time with God each day. That is the only real way too get rest and be rejuvenated...which is something I really need some days (today was one of those days). This devotion showed how even Jesus had to say no and get alone to pray. Luke 5:15-16 says "The news about Him spread all the more , so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sickness. But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed." Even Jesus had to get away from his followers (I don't have as many as He did, but they do like to follow me everywhere I go!). I have to learn it's OK to say no. They don't have to have my constant attention. If I'm going to be the mom God has called me to be, I MUST take time for myself to spend alone, in a quiet place with God, and the Bible gives me permission to do that without feeling mommy guilt!

4 comments:

  1. I was listening to a Focus on the Family broadcast just the other day that brought that very same point up and I thought, huh! That makes great sense when you think about it that way! I'm glad you recognize that it's ok for you to claim some of your day, for yourself, and for time with God. :-) I need to do that more, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand where you are coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have an app on your phone? I have the Bible app and besides having access to the entire text and daily passages, it also has plans for just about every intention you can imagine. Since I always have my phone with me anyway, I can get in some contemplative time when I'm at the eye doctor, at the store, (while I'm pumping!) ... I even read it in the elevator at work. A few minutes here and there adds up. It's not ideal, like a solid 30 minute chunk, but I'll take what I can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, I do have that app. That's what I'm using to do that devotion. I love it!

      Delete