Thursday, May 16, 2013

School Planning

I am SO excited that summer is almost here!! Cade has 5 days of school left and then he is DONE. I'm even more excited that it is almost time to start homeschooling! I've been working hard on getting all the lesson plans done and organized. I'm so excited to use the curriculum I have chosen to use with him. I have a daily schedule for us that will allow him to be done with school be 12 or 1 each day, which is so great. That includes him getting about an hour and a half break total during his school lessons each day. I'm excited to have more time in the afternoons just to play or find fun activities and field trips to do with my boys. I don't think I have posted here, so I will post what curriculum I have chosen to use with him.

Hooked on Phonics 1st Grade - Reading
Handwriting Without Tears - Writing
Math-U-See - Math
Apologia Astronomy - Science
US Geography/History from Confessions of a Homeschooler
Art from Confessions of a Homeschooler
Music from Confessions of a Homeschooler (I love her curriculums!)

I was considering starting Kindergarten with Liam. He wouldn't start K in public school until August of next year if he were going to public school. But, we are still working on learning letters and he struggles a little with that, so I think we will just keep reviewing that and move on when he is ready.

I'm considering doing a year around schedule. I've been researching it a little and it seems like it would work well for us. I read where some people will do 3 months on, 1 month off. I love the idea of having several breaks instead of just one long 3 month break. Plus, it would allow us to take extended time off when Beckham is born, which I really want so we can have some time to bond with him and get on some type of schedule with him (yeah, right ha!). If we do that, we will be starting school after our trip to California in June.

I'm very much looking forward to this year! I know it won't be completely smooth and it will be a learning process, but I am SO excited to start homeschooling and helping my kids LOVE learning!

1 comment: