Monday, October 22, 2012

Vegan Tortilla Soup

Yesterday, I came across a recipe for vegetarian tortilla soup on the All Recipes website. I tweaked it just a bit, made it vegan and added a little more to it and it was delicious! I thought this would be a recipe worth sharing! This is my version of the recipe.

Vegan Tortilla Soup
2 Tbls. Olive Oil
1 lb. frozen onion/pepper stir fry mix
2 cloves minced garlic
3 Tbls. ground cumin
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
3 (4 oz) cans crushed green chile peppers
4 (14 oz) cans vegetable broth
1 C. frozen corn (or 1 can of corn)
1 C. cooked quinoa
salt and pepper to taste
Avocado for topping


Heat the oil in a large pot and cook the onion/pepper stir fry, garlic and cumin for 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Mix in the tomatoes and  chile peppers. Stir in the broth and add the cooked quinoa. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Serve with tortilla chips and top with avocado. You could also add vegan shredded cheese, but we didn't have any, so I didn't add cheese. It was really good and made great leftovers for lunch today! Cade really enjoyed it. Liam took 1 bite. I will someday get that child to eat a vegetable!

Vegan Tortilla Soup


2 comments:

  1. Yum! I have seen a ton of similar recipes, but never a vegan one. Definitely good for the cold weather that will hopefully be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! I am not a cook by any means, but it seems easy enough!

    ReplyDelete