Wednesday, February 6, 2013

New Adventure..

So, Bryan and I have made the decision that starting next year when Cade is in 1st grade, I will begin homeschooling. I am SO excited about this. Homeschooling has been what I have wanted to do ever since having kids. But, when I divorced and became a single mom, I really felt that trying to home school would be overwhelming, with it going along with my in-home daycare that I had. So, I gave up on my dream of homeschooling. Well, now I am remarried, we are more settled, and my desire to home school has been back stronger than ever. I want my kids to love to learn, which they already do. Cade is so inquisitive. He questions everything. I want to be able to help him find those answers. And, I want to help him develop skills that I already see he has talent in. Cade loves art. And, he's really good at it. I want to encourage that interest and help him become the best he can be or wants to be with that. I'm not sure what Liam's interest is yet...so far, his interest is Scooby Doo :) Mostly, I want my kids to develop a heart for God and what He wants them to do with their lives. In the end, that's what it's all about.

I am so thankful that I have so many friends that have been able to help me get started. It can be a little overwhelming to even know where to start, but I have had some great friends give me a lot of recommendations and now I feel like I can definitely do this and it's not so overwhelming. I do wish I lived closer to these friends. When I lived in NWA, I had so many friends who home schooled. In my new town, I don't know anyone. It would be helpful to have a support system closer to home. I will be researching any local home school groups to hopefully get involved in.

I'm excited about starting this. I can hardly wait until next school year! I'm so excited about the freedom this is going to give our family and I am excited to make learning exciting for my kids. I want them to experience learning, not sit behind a desk several hours a day. I know it's going to be challenging, but it will be so worth it!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! I actually just messaged Kristen yesterday with a concern that I had about homeschooling.We should start a small group on facebook that we could add other homeschooling families to that we know. Even though we aren't close geographically, we could have a good place to post questions or just get support!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, let's do it! Especially since I don't really have local support, I would love any support I can get! A FB group would be perfect for that :)

      Delete